“Until he [Dr. James Law] began to teach at Cornell, no American college had ever regarded veterinary medicine as deserving a place in the college curriculum”. -- Cornell Board of Trustees Resolution, June 1908.
Publications in this collection focus on various aspects of the history and background of the College of Veterinary Medicine at Cornell University. It was founded in 1894 by Dr. James Law who served as the first dean.
Included are works by and about Dr. Law since his appointment as the first professor of veterinary medicine at Cornell in 1868, his efforts toward founding the New York State Veterinary College, and subsequent developments of historical interest leading to the present day.
Over the years, the school has been known as the New York State Veterinary College from1894, the New York State College of Veterinary Medicine from 1974, and Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine from 1987.
New York State Veterinary College. (Cornell University. New York State Veterinary College., 1900)
This undated booklet was a guide for veterinary students at the New York State Veterinary College about 1900. It includes sections on: Entrance, Registration, Advanced Credit, Attendance, Term Marks, Conditions and Failures, Removal of Conditions, Permits for Reexamination, Unsatisfactory Work, Readmissions After Being Dropped, Petitioning of Faculty, Conduct, [Blank First and Second Term Schedules].
Evans, Howard E. (Cornell University. College of Veterinary Medicine, 1994)
The historical background of the study and teaching of anatomy at Cornell University from its beginning in 1868 is presented. This includes a chronology of all appointments in Anatomy including visiting, acting, and short term appointments.
(Cornell University. Office of University Publications., 1980)
Summary: Presents the history of the College during its first forty years from the beginning of the University and appointment of James Law to the early years after the establishment of the Veterinary College in 1894. It describes Dr.Law's early teaching of veterinary medicine and influence on the understanding of animal disease epidemics. Also addressed are the appointment of the original six faculty members, the building of James Law Hall, the dedication of the Flower Library, and the College's early relationship with the College of Agriculture.
Fontana, Elizabeth A. (Cornell University. College of Veterinary Medicine, 1994)
Contents: Forward (Robert D. Phemister); The Early Years 1868 to 1894:The First Professor, Law's Vision Fulfilled. ; The New College 1894 to 1931: Original Faculty, An Attempted Merger, The Second Generation. ; The Hagan Years 1932 to 1959: Research and Service Programs Expand, A New Veterinary Campus. ; In Full Stride 1960 to 1994: Departments and Service Units Evolve, The Gender Shift, Milestones for Companion Animals, One Medicine Initiatives, Facilities and a Curriculum for the Twenty-first Century, Second Century. Acknowledgements.
Calnek, Bruce W. (Cornell University. College of Veterinary Medicine, Dept. of Microbiology and Immunology, 2008)
Contents: Dedication; Acknowledgement; Preface. Part I: Programs at Ithaca. The Early Years (1898-1923), The Brunett Period (1923-1943), The Levine Leadership Period (1943-1965), The Hitchner Chairmanship Period (1966-1975), The Calnek Chairmanship Period (1976-1995), The Merger (1995), After the Merger (1995- ); Selected Research Highlights During and After the Levine era. ; Part II: Other Programs. The Farmingdale Laboratory, The Regional Poultry Laboratories, The Cornell University Duck Research Laboratory. ; Part III: Summation ; Part IV: Personnel and Publications. Professional Staff, Graduate Students, Visiting Scientists, Post Doctoral Associates, Publications.
Make a deposit on eCommmons
Please sign in with your Cornell NetID to continue.