Refugees from Somalia in Buffalo
MetadataShow full item record
Somalia is a country that has been divided by civil war since the 1980s. It began due to resistance to the regime of Siad Barre. Once he was overthrown in the 1980s, the resulting power vacuum led to violence. Peace efforts from multi-national groups, neighboring countries, and the United Nations have been attempted, but violence continues and has forced many to flee the country for safety. Somalia is one of the most homogenous countries in Africa. Approximately 85% of the country’s population are ethnic Somalis and practice the Sunni Muslim religion, while the remaining 15% are made up of various ethnic groups. The largest of these is the Somali Bantus, a pastoral clan descended from slaves brought into Somalia from southeastern African countries. Some Bantu have held onto their cultural heritage, while others have been integrated into the Somali culture. Bantus face varying degrees of discrimination and persecution due to their background.
Buffalo; Data/Demographics/History; Populations and Cultural Groups; Demographics and Data; Fact Sheet; PPG; Education