2014 CVM News: Toxic algae blooms cause illness, death in dogs
Office of Marketing and Communications. Media Relations
This news item from the Cornell Chronicle is about: Dogs are known to play, swim and lap up water in lakes and ponds, but these simple joys can lead to illness and even fatal poisoning when harmful algae blooms muck up the water. If after playing in still water, a dog starts vomiting, has tremors and becomes lethargic, the pet may have been poisoned by toxic algae. In severe cases, dogs can show symptoms within minutes and die within an hour of exposure. As a result, Cornell experts recommend keeping dogs on leashes around potentially algae-ridden water and preventing them from ingesting toxic scum off the water, the beach or themselves.
Cornell University, College of Veterinary Medicine
Cornell University. College of Veterinary Medicine -- Periodicals.; Bischoff, Karen; Ramanujan, Krishna; Cornell Chronicle