Gage, Simon Henry
Cornell University, Office of the Dean of the University Faculty
Memorial Statement for Professor Simon Henry Gage, B.S. (1851-1944) who was Instructor (1877) in Microscopy and Practical Physiology, Assistant Professor (1881) of Physiology and Lecturer in Microscopical Technology, Associate Professor (1889) of Physiology, Associate Professor (1895) of Anatomy, Histology, and Embryology, Professor (1896) of Microscopy, Histology, and Embryology, and Professor (1902) of Histology and Embryology at Cornell University. When the New York State Veterinary College was established in 1896, he organized an independent Department of Histology and Embryology which was transferred to Stimson Hall in 1902. In doing so, he became one of the original six faculty members of the Veterinary College. "Of his books, the most characteristic is 'The Microscope', first published in 1881 and probably the most widely used American text on the subject." Professor Gage promoted the early development of the Flower Veterinary Library founded to serve the College in 1897. The memorial statements contained herein were prepared by the Office of the Dean of the University Faculty of Cornell University to honor its faculty for their service to the university.
New York State Veterinary College -- Faculty -- Obituaries; Cornell University. College of Veterinary Medicine -- Faculty -- Obituaries; Simon Henry Gage -- Obituaries; Original veterinary faculty member; Veterinary histology -- Study and teaching