Tremorgenic mycotoxicosis in a dog
A 4-year-old, male castrated beagle was presented to the Emergency Service for presumptive ingestion of a tremorgenic toxin. On presentation he had a temperature of 107.7°F, heart rate of 240 bpm, and was panting heavily. He was laterally recumbent with violent generalized tremors mimicking possible seizure activity. Given the acute onset of symptoms and history of having access to a compost pile, tremorgenic mycotoxicosis was highly suspected. Mycotoxins are fungal metabolites that when ingested are capable of producing unfavorable outcomes. Effects produced by mycotoxins differ; this is profoundly dependent on the chemical structure of the toxin and degree of toxicity.1 Mycotoxins that induce muscle tremors, ataxia and convulsions are categorized as tremorgenic mycotoxins. There is no antidote for tremorgenic mycotoxicosis. Treatment for this emergency includes alleviating the symptoms of illness and allowing the dog’s system to recuperate. In this patient, three intravenous anticonvulsants, diazepam, phenobarbital, and levetiracetam as well as a centrally acting muscle relaxant, methocarbamol, were administered to control the dog’s muscle activity. This resulted in good outcome and allowed the dog to recover within 40 hours of being presented for the emergency. Prevention of tremorgenic mycotoxicosis is a matter of removing opportunity; this includes preventing accessibility to moldy foods, compost or nonspecific garbage.
Senior seminar paperSeminar SF610.1 2014
Dogs -- Diseases -- Case studies; Dogs -- Feeding and feeds -- Contamination -- Case studies; Dogs -- Toxicology -- Case studies
paper or project