Show simple item record

dc.contributor.authorLopez, Julio
dc.date.accessioned2009-07-28T18:17:57Z
dc.date.available2009-07-28T18:17:57Z
dc.date.issued2008-02-20
dc.identifier.urihttps://hdl.handle.net/1813/13232
dc.description.abstractThis paper describes an eight-month-old dog that developed acute renal failure due to raisin ingestion as well as the process, indications and potential complications of hemodialysis. The dog had ingested three ounces of raisins three days before presentation and developed vomiting within 24 hours of ingestion. The dog was diagnosed with acute renal failure and was referred to the Animal Medical Center in New York City for hemodialysis treatment. The patient responded to aggressive medical management, which included fluid diuresis, and hemodialysis was not necessary. Raisin ingestion in dogs can be fatal if they develop acute renal failure. The toxic compound in raisins and the mechanism by which they cause acute renal failure is still unknown. Hemodialysis is indicated in those cases that have not responded to 12-24 hours of aggressive medical management or have become volume overloaded. Hemodialysis is not without complications and it does not directly heal the kidneys.en_US
dc.language.isoen_USen_US
dc.relation.ispartofseriesSenior seminar paperen_US
dc.relation.ispartofseriesSeminar SF610.1 2008 L67en_US
dc.subjectDogs -- Diseases -- Case studiesen_US
dc.subjectDogs -- Toxicology -- Case studies
dc.titleAcute renal failure due to raisin ingestion and indications for hemodialysisen_US
dc.typeterm paperen_US


Files in this item

Thumbnail
Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record

Statistics