Acute renal failure due to raisin ingestion and indications for hemodialysis
This paper describes an eight-month-old dog that developed acute renal failure due to raisin ingestion as well as the process, indications and potential complications of hemodialysis. The dog had ingested three ounces of raisins three days before presentation and developed vomiting within 24 hours of ingestion. The dog was diagnosed with acute renal failure and was referred to the Animal Medical Center in New York City for hemodialysis treatment. The patient responded to aggressive medical management, which included fluid diuresis, and hemodialysis was not necessary. Raisin ingestion in dogs can be fatal if they develop acute renal failure. The toxic compound in raisins and the mechanism by which they cause acute renal failure is still unknown. Hemodialysis is indicated in those cases that have not responded to 12-24 hours of aggressive medical management or have become volume overloaded. Hemodialysis is not without complications and it does not directly heal the kidneys.
Senior seminar paperSeminar SF610.1 2008 L67
Dogs -- Diseases -- Case studies; Dogs -- Toxicology -- Case studies
paper or project