Show simple item record

dc.contributor.authorFreer, Sean R.
dc.date.accessioned2008-09-07T19:23:10Z
dc.date.available2008-09-07T19:23:10Z
dc.date.issued2005-03-02
dc.identifier.urihttps://hdl.handle.net/1813/11329
dc.description.abstractMetronidazole is commonly used in veterinary medicine for treatment of giardiasis, inflammatory bowel disease secondary to bacterial overgrowth, and systemic anaerobic infections. Overdosage or chronic use of recommended doses may cause signs of intoxication, most notable of which are those localized to the cerebellum and central vestibular systems. It is important to recognize the clinical signs of such a toxicosis, couple the signs with the history of administration of high doses of the drug, and carefully consider options of therapy. Until recently therapy has consisted of discontinuation of the drug along with supportive care. Based on the rapid recovery times presented by Evans et al., and our success with this particular case, the use of diazepam when presented with a case of metronidazole toxicosis appears to be quite beneficial.en_US
dc.language.isoen_USen_US
dc.relation.ispartofseriesSenior seminar paperen_US
dc.relation.ispartofseriesSeminar SF610.1 2005 F74
dc.subjectDogs -- Diseases -- Case studies
dc.subjectDogs -- Toxicology -- Case studies
dc.subjectDogs -- Effect of drugs on -- Case studies
dc.titleMetronidazole toxicosis in a Greater Swiss Mountain dogen_US
dc.typeterm paperen_US


Files in this item

Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record

Statistics