Located on the second and third floors of Lincoln Hall, the Sidney Cox Library of Music and Dance provides listening and viewing facilities, workstations, laptops, and wireless Internet access, as well as a variety of study spaces.
The Music Library was established in 1929 as a small, departmental collection, and was located in a house on Wait Avenue, along with the Music Department. In 1957, Harold Samuel (1924-1999) was hired as Cornell’s first Music Librarian. During his tenure, Lincoln Hall, originally built to house Civil Engineering and Architecture, was renovated, and in 1961 the departments of Music and Speech and Drama, as well as the Music Library, moved into Lincoln. Sam, as he was known, was instrumental in developing the Music Library’s research collections; he left in 1971 for Yale, where he remained for the rest of his career. Richard Hunter, now at the Library of Congress, followed Sam, and remained at Cornell until 1973. He was followed by Michael Keller, now University Librarian and Director of Academic Information Resources at Stanford, who served as Music Librarian from 1973-1982. Keller was followed by Lenore Coral (1939-2005), who served as Music Librarian from 1982-2005. Bonna J. Boettcher served as Music Librarian from 2006-2014 before becoming director of Cornell's Olin & Uris Libraries and the Library Annex. Lenora Schneller became the Music Librarian in 2014.