Web Bio PageCurrent Activities
Current Professional Activities
- Chair, National Consortium of Housing Research Centers
- Outreach Team Leader, New York State Center for Indoor Environmental Quality
- Training Partner, National Center for Healthy Homes
- Member, Editorial Review Board, Housing and Society
- Delegate, Extension Disaster Education Network
- Member, New York State Task Force on Toxic Mold
- Advisory Board, National Community Action Foundation
Current Research Activities
Research focus is on housing sustainability, with particular emphasis on energy efficiency, indoor air quality, affordability, and residential sprawl.
Principal Investigator, Residential Energy Efficiency and Indoor Air Quality.
Principal Investigator, Waste Management at the Residential Construction Site.
Completed in 2009:
Principal Investigator, Sprawl and Residential Preferences: Investigating and Building Educational Strategies on New Understandings of Land Use. Funding source: Cornell University Agricultural Experiment Station and Cornell Cooperative Extension.
Current Extension Activities
Extension/Outreach focus is on practical applications of research focus.
- Principal Investigator, Consumer Education Program for Residential Energy Efficiency. Funding source: New York State Energy Research and Development Authority.
- Principal Investigator, Healthy Homes. Funding source: Cooperative State Research, Education and Extension Service and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.
- Trainer, Reducing Asthma Triggers and Lead Poisoning Hazards in Homes. Funding source: U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development/American Small Business Alliance.
- Principal Investigator, Sprawl and Residential Preferences: Investigating and Building Educational Strategies on New Understandings of Land Use. Funding source: Cornell University Agricultural Experiment Station and Cornell Cooperative Extension.
- Principal Investigator, Improving Household and Community Financial Security Through CCE Money and Energy Management Education, Funding Source: Smith-Lever (competitive).
- Principal Investigator, Energy Efficiency and Indoor Environmental Quality, Funding Source: Smith-Lever (competitive).
Joseph Laquatra, Ph.D., Professor, focuses his teaching and research efforts on sustainable aspects of housing with emphases on residential energy efficiency, indoor air quality, construction site waste management, and residential sprawl. As an Extension Housing Specialist, Joe develops and implements educational programs on these and other topics through the statewide network of Cornell Cooperative Extension (CCE). One of these, the Consumer Education Program for Residential Energy Efficiency, has engaged 44 Local Associations of CCE since its inception in 2003. He has conducted educational programs for home builders in partnership with the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB). He has also taught builders, engineers, architects, and government officials in Poland, Russia, and Japan. Joe is a past President of the Housing Education and Research Association and is currently chair of the National Consortium of Housing Research Centers. He is listed in Who's Who Among American Teachers and Educators (11th edition, 2006-07), Who's Who in America (2008, 2009, 2010), and Who's Who in the World (2009, 2010).
Ph.D. 1984 - Cornell University
Consumer Economics and Housing
M.S. 1981 - Cornell University
Consumer Economics and Housing
B.S. 1974 - Cornell University
Department Extension Leader, DEA
Lead Co-Chair, Healthy Living and Learning Environments Program Work Team, Cornell Cooperative Extension
Lead Co-Chair, Family Economic Resource Management Program Work Team, Cornell Cooperative Extension
Faculty Senator, State University of New York
sustainable housing, residential energy efficiency, indoor environmental quality, construction site waste management, residential sprawl
Courses, Websites, Pubs
Laquatra, J.; M. Pierce; N. Helmholdt (2009). The consumer education program for residential energy efficiency. Journal of Extension, 47(6): http://www.joe.org/joe/2009december/a6.php
Laquatra, J. and M. Pierce (2009). Taking construction site waste management to the next level. Journal of Green Building, 4(4): 29-32. http://www.atyponlink.com.proxy.library.cornell.edu/CPUB/doi/pdf/10.3992/jgb.4.4.29
Potter, G. and J. Laquatra (2009). Residential lighting: history, energy efficiency, and health effects (Refereed Abstract). Proceedings of the 2009 Annual Conference of the Housing Education and Research Association; 169-174.
Laquatra, J. (2009). Air pressure and energy-efficiency issues in homes. Housing and Home Environment News (Spring): http://www.human.cornell.edu/che/DEA/outreach/consumer-education-program-for-residential-energy-efficiency.cfm
Laquatra, J. (2009). Green jobs: what they are, where they are, and how to get one. Housing and Home Environment News (Fall): http://www.human.cornell.edu/che/DEA/outreach/upload/HHE-news-Fall-2009.pdf